Norah Faye Kidd
November 4, 2012
2:52 pm
8 lbs 5 oz
20.25 inches
I am so behind on blogging.. I intended to do a post or two about the end of my pregnancy, and I also have missed Weston's 18 month post (which I decided will be the end of his monthly updates), but I want to go ahead and write out Norah's birth story while it's still (semi) fresh on my mind.
The story begins on Saturday, November 3, 2012. I was two days past my due date, which I realize is not a lot, but I had Weston 2 days before his due date, so to me it felt like forever. I was miserable and tired of being pregnant while chasing a toddler around, and most of all I was just ready to meet our girl! So on Saturday afternoon my mom and sister talked me in to trying castor oil. Yes, I realize this is controversial and not for everyone, but after Googling it (totally reliable source..) and reading other's stories I decided to give it a try. I started with a small amount (2 tablespoons) mixed with orange juice and followed it with diet coke to get any of the awful taste out of my mouth. Truthfully, the taste didn't bother me, it was really the texture. That afternoon, nothing happened. Not a single contraction or adverse side effect at all. Around five I was getting really discouraged, and questioning if I'd even taken enough. So after consulting again with my mom, sister and Google I took two more tablespoons the same way I had done before. I went about my evening, watching football at home with my boys, and around 9:30 I began to feel some contractions! At my 40 week appointment my midwife had mentioned that if I felt contractions less then 7 minutes apart I should go ahead and give them a heads up, because she didn't think I'd labor for very long. I continued having the contractions for over an hour and they were getting a little closer so I went ahead and called. The midwife on call sweetly told me that she was not too concerned yet, and to try and get some rest, but to call back if they got stronger and closer together. I went ahead and called my mom and Rachel to let them know they might have to come over to watch Weston, and I let Katie know as well. I went to bed and around 1:30 or so was awakened by stronger contractions... I called my mom and Rachel and asked them to go ahead and come over and once again called to talk to my midwife. She again sweetly reassured me that it could still be awhile (they were about 3 minutes apart or so now) and that she thought I should maybe wait another hour or so before coming in, only because she thought it'd be better for me to be at home and relax rather than at the hospital. My mom and Rachel arrived and I let them know what she had said, and I ended up going back to sleep for another couple of hours before they woke me up again, stronger and a little bit closer now. I called my midwife to let her know we were heading to the hospital.
Chris and I arrived at the hospital around 4:30 or so I think.. the times gets a little blurry at this point. When I arrived at the hospital I was sent to the triage level because L&D was busy, and when my midwife checked me I was now at 4 cm and 80% effaced. At my previous appointment I had only been 2 cm, so I had at least made some progress. My midwife, Theodora, let me know I was still considered to be in early labor, but after talking with her for a bit Chris and I decided that we would stay at the hospital and not leave til we had this baby. Around 7 or so the next midwife Mary began her shift. She cam in and visited with us for a little while and we reaffirmed our plan to have this baby today. So Chris and I began walking the halls and resting in between to try and keep the labor moving along.
Around 9 or so they moved us to a labor and delivery room. I had the sweetest, most helpful nurse who most definitely did not think I would move in to active labor that day. I could tell by the way she was talking, but I was pretty determined to prove her wrong, so we continued doing laps around the unit. All through this pregnancy I prayed and prayed that my labor would start naturally (castor oil does not count ;)) and that I'd be able to feel contractions that were not brought on by pitocin so that I'd be able to make a good decision as to whether or not I wanted to try to go without an epidural.
My prayers were most definitely answered that day. By 11 my midwife returned to check my progress, but it wasn't Mary- she had gotten sick and had to go home, so Titi, who delivered Weston, had come to take over her shift. To say that I was excited to see her would be an understatement. Titi has a reassuring and authoritative way about her and I am certain that my labor continued to progress and went as well as it did because of her. After another check to see that I was further along Titi took us down to a floor that had a better path for walking and set me up at a much quicker pace. I would stop momentarily when a contraction came but I could tell the walking was working so with Chris and Titi's help I pushed on. Between walking and getting checked I sat on the birthing ball and watched tv (the Texans game!) with Chris, my mom and sisters. Chris's mom also arrived in the early afternoon.
Sometime around 1 pm or so Titi checked my progress again and told me that at this point if they broke my water she was sure I'd have this baby in the next couple of hours. I was more than willing to let her do it, but my water ended up breaking on its own as I was getting checked. From this point on things got intense and it was only me, Chris, Titi and my nurse in the room. Previously my contractions had felt like incredibly strong cramps, but I felt like I could manage them because I knew they would peak and then end. These contractions were much much worse. I spent time in the jet tub to ease some of the pain and after maybe an hour I was ready to push. I'm going to spare you the details, but I will say it was painful. And at one point I was just tired and I felt unproductive and wanted to give up. It was the longest 30 or so minutes of my life, but everyone in the room was so encouraging to me and I know that Chris and I will never forget the moment sweet Norah was born.
I'm not sure if it's because it was my second baby or the fact that this birth was natural, but I will say that this recovery has been a million times better than what I experienced with Weston. I was up and moving around with little to no pain within a day. With Weston it took weeks before I reached that point. The hour of intense pain that I endured with this birth was well worth it when I consider how much better I felt all around once she was here.
Thanks to everyone who thought about us and prayed for an easy and safe delivery. They were surely heard and answered and I am so thankful for that!
![]() |
| My sweet girl and I minutes after she was born. Another perk to no drugs- no painful IVs! |
![]() |
| My wonderful midwife Titi |

![]() |
| Daddy admiring his precious girl |
![]() |
| We're so glad Nonna made it for Norah's birth day! |
![]() |
| Granna and her third grandgirl! |
![]() |
| Snuggles with Auntie Kate |
| Rae Rae holding Norah, who arrived just in time for Rae Rae's wedding! |
![]() |
| My wonderful friend Kristin who brought us dinner that night . It seemed like the best meal I had ever had! |
![]() |
| Sara looking like a natural :) (Elisa came by too, but I forgot to take a pic!) |
Norah was born at 2:52 on Sunday afternoon and we got to go home around 5 pm on Monday evening. We were so anxious to get back to our little man and introduce him to his new sister. He has been so sweet with her and I can't wait to write a post documenting their first meeting. We have also been so blessed with meals brought by family and friends. Trying to make dinner with a newborn and a toddler is tough, and I am so very thankful to everyone who has brought us food and stopped by to meet Norah. We love y'all!
Each weekend on Saturday night I begin to relive the events in my mind that brought our sweet Norah in to the world, and I look back on that day as one of the best days in my life. Our family feels so complete with her in it and we are loving every second of getting to know this sweet baby.









No comments:
Post a Comment