Monday, July 26, 2010

Telling The Family

We had an exciting past few days getting to share the news with our families. It's crazy to think that last year at this time (July 25, 2009) we got to call our families to tell them we're engaged, and now this year around the same date we're getting to share wonderful news again!
Last Thursday was my mom's birthday and I was meeting her, my two sisters and my niece for breakfast at Mimi's Cafe. As soon as we arrived at the restaurant Katie asked me if I had taken a pregnancy test recently, and I bit my tongue and told a little lie (though technically I think she asked if I'd taken one that day, which I hadn't! :)). As soon as we were in the restaurant and seated at our booth I handed my mom her birthday card and told her there was a little surprise in there for her so that'd she'd open it right then. She read the front of the card, and on the inside I had taped this picture with the word SURPRISE! written at the top.

After breakfast we spent the day shopping and hanging out with my mom for her birthday. Later that day I called my dad and told him the exciting news. He was so excited and said that I had made his day. My grandparents were so happy for us as well. Other people I told were just some of my close friends.

Around 5 that evening Chris and I left Houston and headed for Del Rio, Texas to stay on a houseboat on Lake Amistad with Chris's family for the weekend. On the way up there we decided that if everyone was still awake (we weren't getting there until 11 pm or so) then we would tell them that night, otherwise we'd wait until morning. Luckily, everyone was still up when we got there. The whole family was there- Chris's parents, his sister Caitlin, his other sister Shannon and her husband Jon, plus Chris's aunt Kelli and her son Mason. After our arrival we were all sitting around the living room talking when Chris said to his mom "Mom, would you rather be called Grandma or Grannie? Because you have about 8 or 9 months to figure it out." Everyone was again so happy to hear the news. We spent the rest of the weekend thinking of baby names and grandma names and we got some pretty good suggestions! Thankfully I felt great all weekend, the boat and the sun did not make me feel sick at all. We had so much fun sharing the news with our family! I'm still waiting to post the news on Facebook, but I'm really not sure how much longer I can hold out...

No comments:

Post a Comment